Monday, August 22, 2011

Design Time: Poncho from Princess Diaries 2


(This post was transferred from a previous old blog.)

When The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement came out in 2004, I recall being captivated by one of Anne Hathaway's costumes that sadly got so little screen time: her poncho. It looked so comfortable and casual that I wanted to wear it. At the time, however, I gave little thought to trying to make one. Fast forward to 2011. As I skim the seemingly endless crochet patterns for a poncho/wrap that will suit my style, I suddenly recall the one I admired 7 years ago.


After YouTube-ing several videos to capture screen shots that covered enough angles, I finally came up with a reasonable pattern idea in my head. Transforming the image into a beginning sketch took a bit of time, though, and honestly, doesn't look all that great right now. I'm hoping my sketching skills will get better as I progress with the next step: measurements.

Wish me luck--I'm heading into an area of pattern creation that I've never been before, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS PONCHO! I want to make one but don't know how to make a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous! I'm working on a pattern for this and I hope to get it figured out soon so I can post it! Right now I'm just saving up a bit to buy the yarn! Thanks for commenting! I'll definitely be posting updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck on the pattern. I will be waiting for the final copy, or did you complete it yet?
    thank you.
    kimberly
    queens, ny

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! have you had the chance to write it up? :) looking for this too! thanks! -jules xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a pattern yet? Please:-)

    ReplyDelete